A 56-year-old British man woke up in the middle of the night with brain bleeding after drinking 25 cans of Red Bull during a 6-hour karaoke session earlier that day. The man now wants energy drinks to be banned in his country.
Nick Mitchell said he drank two dozen Red Bull and Monster cans over a karaoke event in a local club in 2010. He recalls that he woke up that night with a migraine and was taken to a nearby hospital. Blood tests and CT scans revealed that he overdosed on caffeine and that his brain was hemorrhaging.
He was immediately taken into surgery and told that he had 50% chances of another brain bleeding event in less than a day, which could prove fatal. The man survived the surgery but he was hit with three strokes in just one week. He was rendered speechless by the strokes as his brain was severely deprived of oxygen.
Man wants Energy Drinks Banned in the U.K.
The man now wants other people to be aware of the risks of energy drink consumption, which can include death.
These drinks nearly killed me. I was so close to death and thought I might not make it through surgery,
the man said.
He added that the government should blacklist energy drinks for being as bad as illegal drugs and ban them altogether. The man is still recovering from the incident eight years ago. Doctors have diagnosed him with word blindness since he cannot easily find the right words to articulate his thoughts.
According to Red Bull, a can of its product contains 80 mg of caffeine, which is the equivalent of a cup of coffee. The European Food Safety Authority’s guidelines state 400 mg of caffeine per day do not pose a health risk for an adult. However, the British man went way beyond the safety limit.
Image Source: Flickr
Latest posts by Anne-Marie Jackson (see all)
- SF Hospital Slaps New Parents with $19K Bill for Baby Treatment - Jun 29, 2018
- Furious Trump Blasts Harley-Davidson for Moving Production Overseas - Jun 28, 2018
- Warning! MRI Machines Could Poison You - Jun 27, 2018