New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan declared a state of emergency after a contaminated synthetic drug caused several health problems, sending dozens of people to the hospital this week.
According to health authorities, a substance called ‘smacked’ was found in the drug. The substance caused at least 44 overdoses across two cities since Monday.
“Some of these products are legal and what we want to do is get them off the shelves,” said Governor Hassan.
‘Smacked’ is marketed as incense. Health officials say people generally use it for smoking purpose or brewing into a tea.
According to the police, smacked is sprayed with a chemical similar to THC that is highly injurious to health. The buddlegum brand flavor has been associated with dozens of overdoses.
Governor Hassan further said, “These spice products can be treated with a variety of things. Some are showing up with controlled substances that make them illegal, but we don’t know that that’s true for all of them.”
The state of emergency has been imposed so that the police pull the drug off of the shelves and confiscate ‘smacked’. Also the police is working with store owners to investigate who is behind it.
Synthetic marijuana has become a severe issue for the US government and drug enforcement agencies as the authorities are facing tough time to tackle the menace.
A 2012 White House report showed that 11.3 percent of high school students are using synthetic marijuana.