If your pumpkin soup is bitter-tasting don’t eat it. A woman in France lost most of her hair after eating a bitter-tasting pumpkin soup with her family.
A doctor, who documented the case in a recently published study, revealed that the soup contained some toxins from a type of bitter-tasting pumpkins. It is the first known case of hair loss caused by food poisoning from a common plant.
Dr. Philippe Assouly who documented the case explained that the toxic pumpkins belong to the cucurbit family. Other plants that are part of this family are marrows, squashes, and melons.
The patient started vomiting and experiencing nausea and diarrhea shortly after she consumed a pumpkin soup with her family. The woman said that she experienced those symptoms an entire day and after a week another symptom emerged: hair loss.
Only the French woman was affected by the condition since other family members ate less of the meal than she did. Her family experienced the symptoms of food poisoning but they had no hair loss problems a week later.
Dr. Assouly’s study about the strange case was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association Dermatology.
A Bitter-Tasting Pumpkin Is a Warning Sign
However, the French woman’s case is not unique. Another woman has recently reported food poisoning after consuming bitter-tasting squash. Other diners refused to consume the plant because of its unusually bitter taste.
The second woman too started shedding hair, three weeks later. Not only the hair on her scalp was affected, but also the hair on the pubic area and armpits vanished.
Experts explained that the plants can contain a toxic compound dubbed cucurbitacin, which makes them taste so bitter. Domesticated cucurbits lack the bitter taste, but bees can cross-pollinate domesticated plants with wild ones.
Dr. Assouly warned about bitter tasting squash or pumpkin soup. He added that parents should not force their kids to consume such plants as they can be tied to deadly consequences.
Image Source: MaxPixel