In a glaring exposure, the researchers have revealed that women who have taken birth control contraceptives with high-dose estrogen in the recent times are at risk of developing breast cancer by about 50 percent.
Scientists and health experts have always hailed the birth control pill as one of the best medical advancements in women care. But this greatest boon has proved to be hazardous for women health as it is giving rise to breast cancer.
One of the study researcher, Elisabeth F. Beaber, said that the study showed that the use of contemporary oral birth control pills in the past year were linked with breast cancer risk by about 50 percent.
Beaber is a staff scientist at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center’s Public Health Sciences Division in Seattle, Washington.
According to the researchers, those women who consumed pills with an especially elevated estrogen level up their risk of getting breast cancer by nearly three times. Even pills with moderate levels of hormone rose breast cancer risk by about 60 percent.
the researchers, however, asserted that the study findings need to be reconfirmed and there must be a deep analysis of the association between birth control pills and breast cancer.
For the study, the researchers involved 1,102 women diagnosed with breast cancer and between age group 40 and above.
The researchers deeply studied the medical records of all the participants in order to determine the exact oral contraceptives they were taking and their after effects, if any.
All the pills were classified into three categories:
- Pills formulated with a low dose of synthetic estrogen or about 20 micrograms of ethinyl estradiol
- Pills with a moderate dose of synthetic estrogen or 30-35 micrograms of ethinyl estradiol or 50 micrograms of mestranol
- Pills with a high dose of synthetic estrogen or 50 micrograms of ethinyl estradiol or 80 micrograms of mestranol
Both Estradiol and progestin are two main chemicals in the pill
The study is published in journal of the American Association for Cancer Research.
Latest posts by Christina Langfold (see all)
- Scientists Discover the Second Fastest Spinning Pulsar In The Universe - Mar 13, 2019
- Coral Reef Damage Scares Florida Keys Researchers and Businesses - Mar 13, 2019
- Nike to Slash Global Workforce by 1,400 - Mar 13, 2019