After three people were reported to have died of listeria infection on Friday 13 because of Blue Bell ice cream infected with listeria, the same ice cream company has to deal with listeria once again. So far no illness has been reported.
On Monday the company has updated its recall and removed more products from the shelves. The newly recalled products are 3-ounce cups of vanilla, strwberry and chocolate ice cream that have tab lids. The products were not sold through retail outlets, but delivered though food service accounts in Arkansas, Arizona, Alabamba, Florida, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi, Louisiana, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas,Wyoming, South Carolina, and Virginia.
KDHE (The Kansas Department of Health & Environment) recovered a chocolate food service cup from a Wichita hospital and reported a positive test for Listeria monocytogenes. The infected cup was produce on April 15, 2014 in the Broken Arrow, Oklahoma plant. Sara Belfry, a spokeswoman for KDHE reported that the confirmed result was received on Sunday.
The infected ice cream was found at the Via Christi-St. Francis hospital. Assisted by the agriculture department, KDHE collected environmental samples from the kitchen of the hospital and gathered containers from the remaining Blue Bell ice cream products in the hospital. The hospital fully cooperated with the investigators. According to the Kansas Department of Agriculture laboratory none of the samples from the kitchen tested positive for listeria, instead a sample from an unopened Blue Bell 3-ounce cup did.
Consumers who purchased any of the products suspected to be infected are asked to return them and they will receive a full refund. For more information about this event consumers can call from Monday to Friday, between 8 AM and 5 PM at 979-836-7977 or they can check Blue Bell Ice Cream’s website for more details.
People infected with listeria can display symptoms from 3 to 70 days after the ingestion of the bacteria. The symptoms may include muscle ache, fever and gastrointestinal problems, such as diarrhea. Kansas officials recommend that people with weakened immune systems, older adults, pregnant women and newborns should be especially careful.
Image Source: Ben E. Keith
Latest posts by Anne-Marie Jackson (see all)
- Elephants Noted To Be Hiding During The Day To Avoid Poachers - Sep 15, 2017
- Ruddy Shelducks Are Capable Of Crossing The Himalayas - Sep 7, 2017
- Milky Way May Have A New Type Of Giant Black Hole At Its Center - Sep 5, 2017