Those who are diagnosed with epilepsy and sleep on their stomach may encounter a higher risk of sudden death than those with the issue who don’t rest in this position, as suggested by a new research distributed in the journal Neurology.
Epilepsy is a widely common neurological disease in the US, with 2.3 million grown-ups and 450,000 kids being diagnosed with the disorder. In spite of the fact that epilepsy can onset at any age, young children and aged people are the ones that develop the disorder most often. The common symptoms are seizures caused by the brain’s electrical activity.A person is generally diagnosed with epilepsy when they suffer two or more seizures that are not caused by a previous medical issue.
Presently epilepsy has no cure, but seizures can be kept under control with treatment. Nevertheless, some people are immune to such medications and keep on experiencing seizures. This unresponsive type of the disease is called chronic uncontrolled epilepsy.
The author of the research, Dr. James Tao, of the University of Chicago noted that the sudden unforeseen death is how most people with uncontrolled epilepsy die and this typically happens during their sleep.For their study, Dr. Tao and partners aimed to figure out if resting position may influence the danger of sudden death in epilepsy (SUDEP).
From examining 1,106 studies from the Pubmed, Web of Science and Scopus databases, the group found 25 studies that incorporated 253 sudden unexpected deaths among patients with epilepsy, in which resting positions at time of death were recorded.The scientists uncovered that in 73.3% of cases, patients passed away while sleeping on their stomach, while the rest of 26.7% of patients passed away in other resting postures.
The scientists mentioned that 11 instances of sudden unexpected demise discovered in this study were both video and electroencephalographically (EEG) monitored. In these cases, patients passed away while sleeping in on their stomach. By surveying a subgroup of 88 patients, the group discovered that younger patients (under 40 years old) were four times more inclined to be sleeping on their stomach at time of sudden unexpected death than older patients .
In spite of the fact that the analysts are not sure why more youthful individuals with epilepsy seem to be at higher danger of sudden unforeseen demise during sleep, they speculate that it might be due to the fact they are more likely to be living alone and as such are more likely to be alone while resting. Dr. Tao remarked that when somebody has a seizure while in the prone position, they ought to be turned onto their side.The researchers also noted that their discoveries indicate that the mechanisms behind SUDEP may be like those of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
In an article connected to the study, Dr. Barbara Dworetzky, of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, MA, and Dr. Stephan U. Schuele, of Northwestern University in Evanston, IL, stated that this recent study regarding SUDEP is of extraordinary importance. Recently, Medical News Today provided details regarding a study distributed in the diary Epilepsia suggesting that about 1 in 5 grown-ups with epilepsy might likewise have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms.
Image Source: American Herald
Latest posts by Anne-Marie Jackson (see all)
- Elephants Noted To Be Hiding During The Day To Avoid Poachers - Sep 15, 2017
- Ruddy Shelducks Are Capable Of Crossing The Himalayas - Sep 7, 2017
- Milky Way May Have A New Type Of Giant Black Hole At Its Center - Sep 5, 2017