In Pennsylvania, local police reported that parents notified them on the Halloween candy that children collected in Kennett Square on Saturday night. Five Twix bars that had their package on contained needles. The chocolate bars were handed out to four trick-and-treaters in the area.
The day after, a 12-year-old brought to the police a Snickers with a needle in it. Police said that the first parent who handed over the Twix bars became alarmed when a Facebook friend posted an article about Snickers laced with needles and pins. The police couldn’t tell if the Snickers candy bar was the same candy the 12-year-old handed over to the police.
The Kennett Square Police Department posted a warning on its official Facebook page on Nov. 1. According to the KSPD post, a ‘needle-type item’ was identified inside 5 Twix chocolate bars handed out to children that were trick-or-treating in Stenning Hills.
Police opened an investigation, so the candy and package is now analyzed with state-of-the-art investigative equipment. The police even made public several images of the chocolate bars and needles in them.
KSPD post reads that all parents should first check the candy and then allow their kids to eat it. Wrapped items should also be double checked. On the other hand, no injuries were reported. The police also urged people that have leftover candy to do the same.
In New Jersey, Woodbury Heights Police Department is aware of only one piece of candy containing a needle or pin. The candy was reportedly handed out in Gloucester County.
On Sunday, Michelle Garwood, a resident of the borough, posted on her social media account a series of images of a Snickers Almond bar with what looks like a pin or needle sticking out of it. The woman said that the candy was brought home by her children after tick-or-treating in St. Margaret’s Church area. Kids were not injured since the candy was given to the woman’s brother-in-law who saw the needle after taking a bite.
While the news may fuel parents’ concerns over vicious people tampering with their kids’ Halloween candy, there is only one case of death by poisoning.
In the late 1970s, an eight-year-old boy from Texas died after eating a cyanide-laced Halloween candy. Although the police suspected that a deranged neighbor killed the child, investigators learned that the candy was tampered by the boy’s father, who planned to collect the victim’s life insurance. The man was caught and executed.
Image Source: Pixabay
Latest posts by Nathan Fortin (see all)
- The End of Life Option Act Already Used by 111 People - Mar 11, 2019
- Senate Decided to Kill Rule that Promotes Retirement Plans - Mar 11, 2019
- BlackRock Is Turning to Robots for Improved Stocks - Mar 11, 2019