No sooner than a laundry product developed to ease convenience in washing was launched, it turned into a fatal hazard for toddlers and kids. These packets of detergent balls, known as ‘Laundry Pods’, after a popular brand’s similar product, are harmful for kids as one child was to be admitted daily to hospitals in the year 2012 and 2013, the years when they were most widely available in the United States of America.
Poison control centers across the state have reported to answer to more than 17,000 calls at an average of one call per hour in those two years. These calls were mostly about 6 year olds and less aged children that were exposed to the concentrated chemicals and detergents in the packets of ‘laundry pods’.
Though the statistics for the year 2014 are still unknown, lead researcher Gary Smith, Director, Center for Injury Research and Policy at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio is worried that the danger still persists.
Small children aged 1 and 2 are very young, however, they are mobile and are at high risk of coming in contact with the harmful detergents. These pods are colorful and a young toddler can mistake it for a candy or juice. In most common cases, a child bites through the pods or poke through the thin plastic packet and get this detergent down his or her throat or even eyes.
The children got sick with vomiting and coughing experience the most. Also, breathing problems, coma and seizures were observed in rare cases. Not only this, one death was reported and there were about a hundred cases where children had to be put on ventilators.
Latest posts by Anne-Marie Jackson (see all)
- Antarctica Might Be Home To Around 100 Volcanoes - Aug 16, 2017
- Walmart Issues An Apology For Back-To-School And Guns Mishap - Aug 11, 2017
- Extremely Rare Primate Skull Might Offer New Look At Our Ancestry - Aug 10, 2017