After 18 months of surgeries and severe pain, Rebekah DiMartino, a Boston bombing survivor, was finally released from a Houston area rehab facility this Saturday after having her left leg amputated.
The Texas woman, age 27, is one of the last year Boston Marathon runners who got severely injured when a bomb exploded near the finish line. Her husband, back then boyfriend, and her 7 years old son were watching when the bombs went off. They had minor injuries.
Rebekah had been fighting to save her leg for about 18 months, when she decided that was better to cut it off. On November 10, 2014 she had her leg removed, and on November 14 she entered rehab.
During the 18 months, doctors did everything they could to make her left leg regain functionality, but severe chronic pain was more than the young woman could bear. She finally made her decision early this month, saying the leg was holding her back.
Before amputating it from the knee down, she threw her leg a going away party and wrote him a “Dear John” letter, posted on that day on Facebook.
“The love that we once had has dwindled, and this relationship has become a real burden on my life… This is NOT a sad day. This is my new beginning”,
Rebekah DiMartino said in her letter.
She also wrote on her leg with a black marker “It’s not you, it’s me”, took some pictures, and posted them on Facebook.
Her son wasn’t on her mother side when she made her difficult decision. Nevertheless, he and her husband continue to support he in everything she chooses to.
Before returning home from the rehab facility, Rebekah told reporters that she eagerly awaited to get rid of her stitches in December and got her new prosthetic leg.
She is also very optimistic about her future. During a telephone interview, before packing her things up and leave home to Richmond, she promised she would run in 2015 Boston Marathon .
Doctors said that the prognosis was great.
The Boston Marathon bombings were a series of bomb attacks that occurred on April 15, 2013 on Boylston Street, in Boston, during an annual city marathon. In the incident, 264 people were hurt and 3 were killed. One of the two attackers was shot dead by FBI, while the other, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is under investigation and will face trial on January 5, 2015. Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty, refused any jury from the district, and accused the media of “inflaming and pervasively prejudicing the potential area jury pool”.